Background to the project
National Trust is a business built on its people; from those who are within the properties to those running business functions. In 2012, The National Trust introduced a new internal HR system, MYplace, to streamline current HR processes and help manage a workforce of approximately 12,000 employees.
Hosted by Oracle, the platform consisted of the following modules: Core HR, iRecruitment, Employee & Manager Self-Service, Learning Management, Time & Labor and Payroll.
The deployment was successful and the National Trust realized many administrative benefits of having an integrated, centrally run HCM system. However, they came across some common problems:
- System wasn’t trusted by other business functions
- Not well adopted and overly complicated
- Feedback from staff that they system wasn’t user friendly
- Applicant feedback that the recruitment process online was error-prone and unintuitive
- No mobile access for the workforce comprising of people that do not have easy access to PCs
- Complex and unintuitive screens for managers resulting in forms being filled out incorrectly, causing problems in payroll, time recording, vacancy creation and job changes
Another trouble spot was iRecruitment. This was deployed as an external job board for candidates to view National Trust vacancies and apply for jobs. Poor usability, errors and an unbranded experience caused candidates to abandon the ‘apply for a job’ process. It was also not possible to search for vacancies or apply for jobs using mobile devices. Key performance indicators like Time to Publish, Time to Offer and Time to Hire were below expectations and candidate numbers were falling. Improving the candidate experience became a critical priority, especially with the volume of seasonal recruitment.
The overall project objective was to deliver a faster and easier to use system for the whole business.
Having invested long term in Oracle HCM, the National Trust were keen to realize their original return on investment so, as part of a larger organizational strategy focused on enabling their people, National Trust HR team embarked on a large HR transformational project which included increasing the accessibility, usability and capability of their people systems.